Looking for a kid-friendly road trip from Buffalo, NY? We’ve got a list of locations that are within a 3 to 4 hour driving distance from Buffalo! If we’ve received feedback from the Fun 4 Kids community on how to visit these places with kids, we’ve included their tips.
Kid Friendly Road Trips from Buffalo, NY by Location
Location – Pennsylvania:
1. Splash Lagoon (Erie): Stay at a hotel not connected it is a lot cheaper. There are tons of restaurants by there where you can eat at cheaper.
2. Presque Isle State Park (Erie)
3. Waldemeer Park & Water World (Erie): Waldameer amusement park is next door (to Presque Isle State park) with lots of great toddler rides, no smoking & you can either pay for each ride or get an unlimited pass. Very family friendly, lots of decent major brand hotels (with suites & kitchenettes which help with little kids on trips!)
4. Sesame Place (Langhorne)
5. Crayola Experience (Easton)
6. Living Treasures Wild Animal Park (New Castle)
7. Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium (Pittsburgh)
8. Carnegie Science Center (Pittsburgh)
9. Children’s Museum of Pittsburgh
10. Hershey Park (Hershey)
11. Knoebels Amusement Resort (Elysburg)
Location – Rochester, NY:
12. Strong National Museum of Play: Get a hotel with an indoor pool in the winter in Rochester, then hit the museum of play.
15. Seneca Park Zoo
Location – Western, Finger Lakes, Southern Tier NY:
16. Camping at Jellystone (Java)
17. Letchworth State Park (Castile)
18. Sciencenter in Ithaca: There is lots of nice outdoor stuff not far away from here to do as well!
19. Peak n Peak (Findley Lake)
20. Allegany State Park (Salamanca)
22. Water Safari Enchanted Forest (Old Forge)
23. Branches of Niagara (Grand Island)
25. Darien Lake (Darien Center)
26. Hope Lake Lodge (Cortland)
Notes: *Check out Hidden Valley Animal Adventure in Varysburg…it’s a bit of a drive but not as long as the above ideas. *Don’t forget Rock City Park in Olean and the Renaissance Festival in Sterling, NY!
Location – Ohio
30. Cedar Point (Sandusky)
31. Kalahari Resort (Sandusky)
32. Great Wolf Lodge (Sandusky)
Notes: *While in Cleveland, stop by the house from “The Christmas Story”! Preston’s H.O.P.E. playground in the suburb of Beachwood, just off the highway was recommended as a “must see”. It’s apparently amazing – SO HUGE and fully accessible for kids in wheelchairs too! It’s basically 5-6 different playgrounds together with a preschool zone, sand zone, play houses, swings, etc. It’s a great place for a picnic and (best of all) it’s free! ***Swing by the Children’s Museum of Cleveland while in town (reviews seem to say best for ages 8 and younger) Lots to do and play with, including a large sand area and a large water table.
Location – Ontario, Canada:
33. Legoland Discovery Center (Toronto, Ontario)
34. Great Wolf Lodge (Niagara Falls, Ontario)
35. Toronto Zoo (Toronto, Ontario)
36. Ripley’s Aquarium of Canada (Toronto, Ontario)
37. Ontario Science Centre (Toronto, Ontario)
38. Safari Niagara (Stevensville, Ontario)
39. African Lion Safari (Hamilton, Ontario)
Notes: If you’re headed to Niagara Falls, Ontario be sure to stop and visit the Butterfly Conservatory!
Location – Binghamton, NY
40. The Discovery Center (Binghamton)
41. Roberson Museum and Science Center (Binghamton)
42. Binghamton Zoo at Ross Park
Notes: *Just before you get to Binghamton make a stop in Vestal NY at the Kopernick Observatory. **While in Binghamton, NY visit – Cider Mill Playhouse, Endicott Performing Arts Center, Tri-Cities Opera, and many other theatrical venues – Binghamton Mets Baseball and Binghamton Senators Hockey – Otsiningo Park and Greenwood Park (and many others great for picnicking and outdoor recreation) plus Ride the Carousel Circuit.
Have you taken any of these kid friendly road trips from Buffalo, NY? Send us your tips!