Looking for things to do with kids in Buffalo during winter? We’ve got a list of 10 free or cheap things to do this winter! It’s the perfect list to reference during school breaks to keep your kids busy. There’s also a full list of free and paid activities on the Fun 4 Kids calendar so be sure to check there too!
- Sledding – There are a ton of sledding hills in WNY. Here’s a list.
- Dollar Day at the Erie County Botanical Gardens – Dollar Days are usually in December each year. Here’s a link to their site for details.
- Visit Your Local Library – The local libraries offer a TON of free or low cost activities all year but during breaks they usually have a few extra things planned. You can typically find a complete schedule of events for your library by visiting their website or calling them directly.
- Kids Eat Free – If you’re out and about and don’t want to head home to eat, be sure to take advantage of Kids Eat Free deals happening throughout WNY. Here’s a list.
- Ice-skating – There are a ton of indoor and outdoor ice skating rinks in WNY! Many of them offer free admission and you can go completely free if you have your own skates. Most skate rentals are only a few dollars so ice skating can be a really great low cost activity. Here’s a list of ice skating rinks in WNY.
- Roller Skating – If roller skating is more your thing, there are several places to enjoy some indoor, low cost fun! Check out their sites for special events, hours and more.
Rainbow Rink in North Tonawanda
Rainbow Skateland in Lockport
Spinner’s in West Seneca
- Niagara Power Vista – The Niagara Power Vista offers free admission along with a number of things to do. If the weather is bad, this is a great way to stay indoors! Visit their site for details.
- Go to the Movies – I know what you’re thinking, the movies are expensive! Very true. But Dipson Theatres has several locations throughout WNY and prices range from $2.50 to $4.00 a show! For shows, pricing and location information, visit their website.
- Tifft Nature Preserve – If you’ve got kids that like to be outside, Tifft Nature Preserve is a perfect, free activity to keep them busy. Visit their website for operating hours, special events and more.
- Bowling – Many bowling alleys offer discounted rates during the day or family bowling specials.
On top of all these options, we are always adding special events to our calendar that free, low cost and paid! The best way to stay up to date is to join our mailing list. We’ll email you all the upcoming events, twice a month for FREE. Join here!
Lastly, be sure to visit our Discounts & Deals page if you’re looking for low cost ideas.