Summer is winding down! With about a month to go, there’s time to fit in a day trip so I’ve put together a list of the best day trips to take from Buffalo with kids before summer ends!
Honestly, there’s a lot of great day trips from Buffalo that you can enjoy in summer and during the colder months if you’re willing to drive a little bit.
I asked the followers on my Facebook page to share where they love to go when it comes to the best day trips from Buffalo with kids. So, this post consists of some reader generated day trip ideas, plus a few others I’ve found in my research. If I missed a day trip destination your family loves to take, let me know!
10 Day Trips to Take Before Summer Ends
- Darien Lake – There’s plenty of rides for all ages and a waterpark. Plan your trip on their site.
- Visit a state park – Some of our reader favorites include Stony Brook State Park, Letchworth and Allegheny. Here’s where you can find a complete list of state parks.
- Griffis Sculpture Park – The Park has 250 large scale sculptures plus hiking trails. They also host special events on occasion. Check out their site for details.
- Presque Isle State Park – Presque Isle in Erie, PA is a favorite destination for many WNYers looking for beach day outside of WNY. Here’s a link to more information that should help you plan your day.
- Hidden Valley Animal Adventure – Hidden Valley is the closest thing to Buffalo that allows you to get up and close and personal with animals! Visit their website to learn more about what they have to offer!
- African Lion Safari – If you can travel to Canada, African Lion Safari is another great destination that lets you interact with animals. They also have a waterpark! Visit their site to plan your trip.
- Toronto Zoo – The Toronto Zoo is one of the largest in the world. Not only can you walk through and visit the animals but they also have a 2-acre water play area. Here’s a link their site.
- Niagara Falls – Sometimes I forget we have such a cool attraction right in our backyard! Depending on where you live, Niagara Falls is less than hour drive from most places in WNY and there is a lot to do. You can explore Goat Island, ride the Maid of the Mist or visit the Cave of the Winds. There is a Rainforest Cafe just minutes from the Falls that kids generally get a kick out of!
- Old Fort Niagara – My kids love visiting Old Fort Niagara. There is plenty to explore there on a day trip and they have a number of special events, like reenactments throughout the year that are worth checking out. Here’s their site with details.
- Panama Rocks Park – Located in Chautauqua County, Panama Rocks is a top rated attraction in the county. Visit their site to learn more.
Best Day Trips From Buffalo With Kids That You Can Take Year Round
- Corning Museum of Glass – When I first heard someone suggest taking my kids to a glass museum, I thought “no way” but after looking at their site I saw they offer a number of family friendly activities to keep the kids engaged. Here is their site with details.
- Strong Museum of Play – Most WNYers know about the Strong Museum. It’s an awesome place for the kids year round. In the summer you can stay cool and in the winter you can stay warm. There is definitely enough to see and do that allows you to spend an entire day there. They also change exhibits pretty frequently. Visit their site to see what’s coming up.
- Splash Lagoon – If waterparks are your thing, Splash Lagoon is a great indoor water park that doesn’t require you to cross the bridge to visit Great Wolfe Lodge (also a great destination). Here’s a link to their site.
- Toronto – If you don’t mind exploring a city in cooler temperatures, Toronto offers a number of things to do with kids year round. You could even consider getting a CityPASS, which gives you access to multiple attractions. Here’s the scoop on CITY PASS. If you’re visiting in summer, the zoo is a no brainier but if you’re going at a different time and need to get creative here are a few ideas: