Every summer Fun 4 Kids in Buffalo compiles a list of free or cheap things to do for at least 30 days of your summer! This year we’ve made a list of cheap or free things to do outside in WNY with kids this summer, PLUS we’ve added a list of indoor activities and things to do at home. Enjoy and have fun this summer.
Free or cheap things to do in WNY with kids
- Summer Reading Programs
- $1 Movies at the Regal Cinema on Transit
- Michael’s Craft Store – Camp Creativity –
Please note – Classes options, dates and times vary by location. Please visit their site to find information about your specific Michael’s store.
- Tyke Tuesday’s at the Walden Galleria Mall
- $3 Movies at Four Seasons Cinema in Niagara Falls
- Free Summer Wednesdays at Herschell Carrousel Factory Museum – Free admission and rides are just $.50 (Kiddieland is outdoors)
- Free Family Film Series at Dipson Theatres
- Just Fun Family Entertainment Center in Hamburg – Daily specials and buy one, get one free deals.
- New York Power Authority
- Check your local library – most of the libraries in the Buffalo & Erie County system offer free activities daily.
- Free bowling all summer at Classic Lanes in Kenmore. Registration is required.
Cheap or free things to do outside in WNY with kids
- Flicks on Old Falls Street
- Green Acres Free Family Movie Night
- Green Acres Ice Cream Glow -in-th-Dark Nights
- Parks and Playgrounds of WNY
- Wading Pools and Splash Pads in WNY
- U-Picks in WNY
- Family Friendly Hikes in WNY
- Reinstein Woods – Numerous family friendly free events going on daily. Check their calendar for dates/times.
- Family Fun Thursdays at Canalside
- Canalside – Canalside has free games, a beach and playground that is available daily
- Artpark – Free Family Saturdays which takes place throughout July
- Buffalo Bills Training Camp Schedule (free to attend)
- Movies in the Meadow – Fridays in August, check the Buffalo Olmstead Park’s calendar for details.
- Beaches of WNY
- Olcott Beach and Carrousel Park
- Free Family Fun Saturdays on Old Falls Street
- Fireworks at Niagara Falls. Fireworks displays happen nightly in the summer. Click here for the full schedule.
- Visit Old Fort Niagara. Children 5 and under are free.
Free or cheap things to do at home with kids this summer
- Water blasters – $1 at Dollar Tree and you can have a water war!
- Camp in your backyard – no car packing required!
- Sidewalk chalk art competition – buy some sidewalk chalk from the dollar store and have your kids make their best artwork, everyone wins a prize!
- Go on a nature scavenger hunt. Here’s a link to a scavenger hunt board on our Pinterest page.
- Make homemade playdough. Here’s a link to a recipe on our Pinterest page.
- Set up a lemonade stand.
- Make cookies and deliver them to the local firehouse.
- Have a picnic!
- Make a homemade water slide using your swing set slide.
- Take a bike ride and explore your neighborhood.
Did we miss something you love to do over the summer? Tell us.